1. The World Cup of Soap Operas

Click here for more details
    Dismiss Notice

2000 Malibu Road has been cancelled!!

Discussion in 'Sundry Prime Time Soaps' started by Willie Oleson, Mar 29, 2017.

1. Willie Oleson

Willie Oleson drilling for soap

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +18,847
    Medals:
    :a2:

Now I still don't know all the details about Jade O'Keefe's fake/planned/framed murder case.
    Was this the shortest short-lived prime time soap ever?
    I liked it, it was darker than BH 90210 and Melrose Place.

The show starts with hooker Jade (Lisa Hartman) telling her client (Robert Foxworth, on ImdB credited for "unknown" episodes:lol:) that she's going to quit her job i.e. getting paid for special services.
    upload_2017-3-29_3-8-16.png
    So far so good.
    It must have been a very lucrative business because she owns a big house in Malibu. Actually I don't know how big it is but the rooms look huge, especially since they're practically empty.
    A house without furniture, fascinating!

And now she's going to rent some rooms to other people because she still needs money of course.
    One of the tenants is Perry Quinn, played by the charming Jennifer Beals, and she'll get her own spectacular storyline that ends with a cliffhanger - because it was cancelled:r&r: - but at least it explains the situation.
    upload_2017-3-29_3-29-16.png

The other rooms are for two sisters, the aspiring actress Lindsay Rule (Drew Barrymore) and her sister/manager Joy, played by Tuesday Knight (not Weld!).
    This storyline wasn't my favourite because Tuesday was supposed to be the older, ugly, fat sister.
    But she looked younger, ugly as in "wearing glasses and no make-up", and fat...pff, God forbid Hollywood would actually hire a fat actress. They just had her wearing wide dresses but she was probably thinner than Drew Barrymore.
    I liked the idea of this obsessive mover & shaker, but she never achieved anything and there was too much comical stuff going on.

Drew Barrymore was OK, and she was sort-of-not-dating Eric Adler, played by Brian Bloom.
    upload_2017-3-29_3-36-3.png

Constance Towers and Mitchell Ryan play the super-rich parents from hell, so there's a dysfunctional family too.
    upload_2017-3-29_3-42-44.png
    Oh, she's wicked!

upload_2017-3-29_3-55-21.png

• Like Like x 2
  2. tommie

tommie Soap Chat Enthusiast

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +2,841
    Medals:
    This got a weird voice-over by Lisa Hartman (!) in Europe explaining how everything went for our Honey-Bunny's.

It's a bit bizarre but goes along with how Aaron Spelling knew how to sell a series to "Europe" (oh what a difuse concept it is!)

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Romain

Romain Soap Chat Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +87
    If I remember correctly, Aaron Spelling was furious with CBS because they scheduled 2000 Malibu Road opposite Melrose Place, which meant he had two productions in direct competition with each other.
    When this aired in my country, it did have a final montage explaining what happened to each character, which made me think some additional episodes were produced and they used that extra footage to give the show a "proper" conclusion. The one thing I remember from it was Joy got struck by lightning!

The cast picture above seems to be one of the earliest entries in the "entire cast wearing white" trend of the Spelling shows promo pics from the 90s. I also remember that when Shannen Doherty was let go from Beverly Hills, 90210, Drew Barrymore was in the running to play the show's new bad girl Valerie Malone, and so was Alyssa Milano (who would eventually join Melrose Place as Michael's sister Jennifer Mancini a few years later). The part of Valerie ended up going to Tiffani-Amber Thiessen, and Drew Barrymore never worked for Aaron Spelling again (her movie career was relaunched by the big success of Scream).

As for Jennifer Beals, she is IMHO one of the few actresses who got better-looking with age. She did nothing for me on this show but she was absolutely gorgeous on The L Word, a dozen years later.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Willie Oleson

Willie Oleson drilling for soap

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +18,847
    Medals:
    Do you remember the explanation?

5. tommie

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +2,841
    Medals:
    I mostly remember that Drew and Tuesday Knight's characters went their own ways.

And yes, Honey Bunny did survive getting hit by lightning - phew!

I'm currently going through my VHS tapes so I'm hoping to find it eventually.

• Like Like x 1
  6. tommie

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +2,841
    Medals:
    This was the excuse, but 2000 Malibu Road aired on Sundays, not Wednesdays (where Melrose aired).

No one thought 2MR would be a success and in all honesty it was a summer burn-off - if you watch the series you can even see how Drew's character talks about being cast in pilots, which indicates that it was supposed to air in the spring. Of course, it ended up being a hit, but all of the cast contracts had expired. So they had to go through lenghty negotiations and they... failed.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Toni

Toni Soap Chat Enthusiast

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +4,535
    Medals:
    September 12, 2001 (poster formerly known as Pam's Twin Sister)
    Romain, you read my mind with this comment, I agree about Miss Beals. Besides, she had become a quite decent actress when she starred in "The L Word" (if not the best of the cast).

8. tommie

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +2,841
    Medals:
    I might add that the explanation was pretty shit.

If I find it I will write it out, but expect crap. It was horrid.

9. tommie

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +2,841
    Medals:
    Skanky McHo.

10. tommie

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +2,841