Members Chosen Theme 20 songs written and performed in a foreign language - The Nominations / Votes merged

Discussion in 'Soap Chat Music Stats' started by Ome, Jul 29, 2018.

1. Mel O'Drama

Mel O'Drama Super Moderator Staff Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +9,350
    Medals:
    Now you've said that, so can I. Poor Tone wouldn't have stood a chance with Dalida.

Dalida herself looks very familiar. She's like part Faye Dunaway, part Valerie Leon, part Raquel Welch with a dash of Leona Lewis in there.

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  2. Mel O'Drama

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +9,350
    Medals:
    I just had a wave of panic when I realised I completely omitted Þýmarýk.

And now it's too late!! :fp:

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. Ome

Ome Admin

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +17,689
    Oh gosh! I translated the lyrics into English and struggled like mad to follow it. I do love the melody and she has quite the sexy voice.

Yes, I get a 'Boys Town Gang' vibe from them.

My eyes are closed, I'm lying by the pool in some European country (not sure which) and this is playing on the radio. I'm getting an Italian vibe and now I want a Cornetto. All this talk of America and my thoughts have taken a turn to SONS OF ANARCHY and we're dealing with some Mexican drug lord.

Brotherhood of Man, yes! or any other novelty 70s tune. I can see Mexican cowboys line dancing, or maybe they're doing the Brotherhood of Man dance.

Is this Zucchero of Paul Young & Zucchero fame? His voice sounds really different, I love it.

Oh wow, it is. I haven't heard this song in like forever.

Therapeutic through and through, I didn't want it to end.

• Like Like x 2
  4. Ome

Ome Admin

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +17,689
    This version is much better than Holly Valance

• Agree Agree x 2
  5. Mel O'Drama

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +9,350
    Medals:
    Absolutely. Tarkan's is the original version and I think it lost something in the translation.

• Agree Agree x 2
  6. Ome

Ome Admin

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +17,689
    This song sounded really familiar in the intro and the build-up, but I can't put my finger on it. It nearly came to me, I'm feeling something from Curiosity Killed the Cat around '87. Whatever it is I friggin' well love it.

I'm getting a really good appreciation for German music. This one sounds like she's telling a story, though what, I have no idea.

I don't know about this particular song, but I have voted on another tune by Bo Kaspers Orkester. The saxophone makes this one, but only because I don't know what he's singing.

Fan-bloody-tastic sound of the drums. I picture joyous celebration, red & gold and me looking like a tit on the dancefloor.

Love the melody, the chorus and the soothing sound of his vocals. Then out of the blue, he turns into an upbeat feel-good song - well as long as he's not singing about slaughtering someone's kids.

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  7. Willie Oleson

Willie Oleson SoapLand Battles Moderator

Message Count:
    marriage counselor
    Ratings:
    +20,949
    Medals:
    Oh, then I think you should do it. We all appreciate everyone's input, but we're voting for the songs, not the members. If 4 votes for RC's nominations means no votes for mine then I'm perfectly fine with that:)
    She was huge in France, her biggest hit in Holland/Belgium was the 7 minutes songs Gigi L'Amoroso. There were some remix albums and singles in the 1990s and 2000s but none of these had international appeal.

There are quite few international foreign hits that (surprisingly) didn't make the list.
    Who doesn't remember this one?

• Like Like x 2
  8. Ome

Ome Admin

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +17,689
    I always start up with every intention of voting equally for everyone who has nominated, but I highly doubt I've ever followed through on that. Events take over during the course of my voting process and then there's the added "I have to look at what everyone else is voting for" factor, where I usually find a song I missed or didn't fully grasp when I went through them.

I already had (or so I thought) my number one song, but as I continue it's dropped to number two.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Ome

Ome Admin

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +17,689

This one really surprised me. Normally I associate Alison with a deeper husky voice and here she really brings a new sound to me. I'm a massive fan of her music with Vince Clark and her first two solo albums, but after that, it's just the singles collection. Looking at the album this came from had me checking out her version of Alfie and I wanted to delve further, but she's sidetracking me on my quest to find the ultimate top ten of foreign songs.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Willie Oleson

Message Count:
    marriage counselor
    Ratings:
    +20,949
    Medals:
    And even when I post my top 10 in the voting round I keep changing my mind. It's only final after I've hit "post reply":lol:

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  11. Ome

Ome Admin

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +17,689
    :haha:

This is exactly why I leave it to as late as possible to post my final ten.

I've gotta add that I'm totally consumed with this week's nominations, so many songs that I don't know and then I have to make notes because I can't remember the song title of the artist. :rolleyes:

12. Mel O'Drama

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +9,350
    Medals:
    I love her 2004 album Voice, on which this song appears. It's quite a different sound - quite stripped back and acoustic sounding - and it's really led by Alison's gorgeous voice. Hence the album name, I suppose. ;)

It may not be your thing, but it's worth a peek if you liked this one.

Well, that would never do. There's always later in the week for Ms Moyet. :D

You're very restrained, Willie. If I keep listening that "Edit" option gets very attractive.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Ome

Ome Admin

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +17,689
    This is a lovely version.

Wow!! I absolutely adore Cery's voice, but this is something really different and really special. She totally looses that Welsh accent which shines through her music. I swear, I would never have guessed she was singing this.

The hairs on the back of my neck are standing to attention as I take in this gorgeous song.

Following on from Cerys' voice I'm quite taken by Donna's vocals in this one, she sounds really young, like as young as 12 years old and just over two minutes isn't enough.

Oh God! Not only was I blown away by her hymn earlier, here we have another spinetingling song and I'm digging the Welsh accent shining through.

I peeked at this one when you covered the song in the Standards thread, it's so far away from the Terry Jacks version which I love that if I hadn't known (through that thread) I don't think I would have clicked what the song was on my first listen. I love her breathing when she switches from slow to fast. I looked to see what album this was on, hoping it might be 'Voice' and then I saw it was on the 'Essential' singles, the one I don't have. My singles collection is from the 90s.

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  14. Ome

Ome Admin

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +17,689
    I'm listening to the song again as I type this and next I'm off over to iTunes to download the album.

• Like Like x 1
  15. Willie Oleson

Message Count:
    marriage counselor
    Ratings:
    +20,949
    Medals:
    I've managed to narrow it down from 20 to 10 [​IMG] and as it turns out, 2 songs from every list.
    But what song (and country!) is going to win? I find it all so very exciting!
    I think I can predict how members are going to perceive the guessing game...

• Like Like x 3
  16. Ome

Ome Admin

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +17,689
    One of a very limited number of foreign songs I bought. I loved the haunting sound and at times I found it really scary, like I associated it with some horror movie.

What a little gem of a tune. How did you come across this one? Was it through this nomination thread, or is it something from far back?

I've still got Levan Polka going through my mind, it's like the intro of this song had an element of Hatsune Miku in it. Then it disappeared when the vocals started.

I love her voice, especially when she's doing that thing with non-sensical lyrics after the chorus.

I'm getting a vibe from a 70s TV show with the intro on this one. I can almost feel a sense of singing along, only it's happening in my head because I would just get tongue-tied if I tried it out loud. A really nice and pleasant song that would sound great driving on long deserted roads.

Looking at the comments on YT and I'm wondering what the next few weeks will bring me with recommendations.

This wasn't something I was expecting when you mention it is Algerian, it feels like something from Demis Roussos, but don't take that as anything, I'm just displaying my ignorance to other languages.

• Like Like x 2
  17. Ome

Ome Admin

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +17,689
    I'm just happy that I have a good few days left to narrow it down.

Haha!

Oh, I hadn't thought about what country would win, this just makes it even sweeter.

18. Mel O'Drama

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +9,350
    Medals:
    She does, doesn't she? She'd be in her early twenties here, so not quite as young as she sounds.

Yes - the Essential album and Voice are the only two full Alison albums I own*, and they seem to do the job for me. Essential lives up to its name with a lot of her Eighties and Nineties hits, while Voice is nicely mellow and intimate.

Essential is worth the money for the amazing cover of There Are Worse Things I Can Do. The only shame is it's not a 2-disc set like others in the series.

* I have that Live From Burberry digital EP too, but that probably doesn't count.

:dance:

• Like Like x 1
  19. Angela Channing

Angela Channing World Cup of Soaps Moderator

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +10,720
    Medals:
    A while back I was putting together a playlist of different versions of My Way/Comme D'Habitude and Mack The Knife/Die Moritat von Mackie Messer (two of my favourite songs) and while I was looking up versions of both songs by the Japanese singer Misora Hibari (by the way her version of Mack The Knife is brilliant) I noticed the song on the list of suggestions on the right of the screen in YouTube. The song is total nonsense but it has one of the tunes that sticks in your head for a very long time.

Although I said the song was Algerian, I would have been more accurate saying it is Arabic, the group are from Algeria. This was one of my favourite alternative versions of My Way that I found when putting together the aforementioned playlist. Now that you mention it, the language does sound like it has a similar rhythm to Greek.

• Like Like x 2
  20. Ome

Ome Admin

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +17,689
    I bought that track a while back, hell it was probably years ago after speaking with you about it. I also bought the Live From Burberry digital EP after you mentioned it years ago. I went for the live version of 'Only You'

I've done a quick scan of her Voice album and was pleasantly surprised to hear 'The Windmills of Your Mind' another track that I believe you pointed my way.

• Like Like x 1