According to this Reuters dispatch, more and more Americans are giving up cable television on account of the lousy economy.
* DirecTV makes first customer loss of 52,000
* Time Warner Cable loses 169,000 video customers
* TWC looks to Internet for growth
* Second-quarter revenue up 9 pct
* DirecTV lost more subscribers than Dish in quarter
* First ever quarterly loss of U.S. customers
Personally, I've never had cable and don't really miss it. Almost everything on TV is crap these days, there are just do many better ways to spend one's time.